How often do you review my investments and my account?
We monitor our clients' investments on a monthly basis to search for information that may impact their holdings. Since our philosophy is long-term we recommend very little trading outside of rebalancing considerations. Each client's overall asset allocation is reviewed at least once a quarter when we make recommendations about rebalancing.
Over what period of time will my money be invested?
This very much depends upon your reasons for investing. Do you want to fund a college education for a child, save for a secure retirement or leave a legacy for generations to come? Each of these has different inputs that will impact your asset allocation. Remember that we design portfolios to help you achieve your goals based upon your goals, time horizon and risk tolerance. However, we generally do not recommend that you invest in equities if your time horizon is less than five years.
Do you work with individual stocks?
We do not generally recommend individual stocks in constructing portfolios. We believe research and experience have shown that broadly diversified baskets of equities are the best way to invest. We do however deal with individual stocks on a regular basis in two instances. A client who has an existing position in individual stocks, or who is receiving company stock as compensation needs an appropriate assessment and a strategy for managing their holdings. Hedging existing holdings and effective tax strategies always need to be addressed. We always work with your existing equity holdings to integrate them into your structured portfolio design.
Do you hold my money?
Absolutely not! We are fee only registered investment advisors, not brokers. Your funds and securities are held at a custodian in your name only.
How long does it take you to get started?
After engagement of Structured Asset Management, Inc. it generally takes from two weeks to three months to develop a plan and fully invest your assets.
How often will I get reports from you?
All of your trade orders, confirmations and statements are sent to you on monthly basis by the custodian. In addition, for investment management we provide a comprehensive customized quarterly report. Clients can access their statements online from their custodian at any time.
How do I start the process?
The first step is an initial inquiry from you. Contact us here or call (610) 648-0700. We offer a free initial consultation by phone or in-person. When you decide to engage Structured Asset Management, Inc. we will discuss with you the steps and data collection process that will be needed for your situation. A large part of the value you receive is from participating in the process. Articulating your goals is the first step towards achieving them.
OK, let's be specific, how can financial planning help me?
Just by going through the planning process, you gain a better understanding of whether or not you are on track to achieve your goals and what changes you need to make if you are not.
Questions it can help you answer include:
- How can I create a plan to create and preserve personal wealth?
- How should I provide for my children's education?
- How much should I have invested in company stock
- How can I analyze my corporate incentive package or early distribution options?
- How can I achieve a specific financial goal?
- Should I rollover my corporate pension plan to an IRA?
- Do I have enough money to retire how I choose?
- I just received a lump-sum inheritance. What now?
- When should I execute my stock options? How can I minimize the taxes?
- How do I create an estate plan so my heirs receive what I wish?
- How can I best give money to charity?
- How can I plan to minimize my current estate taxes?
- Am I adequately insured and at a fair price?
I heard financial planning is complicated: what's involved?
The Financial Planning Process is not complicated but it requires a good deal of commitment and thoroughness. The process follows these six steps to help you plan for your goals:
- Establishing and defining the client-planner relationship.
- Gathering client data, including goals.
- Analyzing and evaluating your financial status.
- Developing and presenting financial planning recommendations and/or alternatives.
- Implementing the financial planning recommendations.
- Monitoring the financial planning recommendations.
What does 'fee only" mean?
We are fee only investment advisors - we strive to eliminate conflicts of interest and potential problems by not taking any commissions, trailing fees, or performance based compensation. We believe that what we are compensated for is our advice, not our ability to generate brokerage. This is the number one consideration you should have when looking for an advisor, who they are working for. We work only for you.
What is your investment philosophy?
Our investment philosophy is embedded in our name - Structured Asset Management. Structure refers to the types and quantities of assets that make up your portfolio. We believe that research has shown conclusively that individuals are vastly better rewarded by getting their asset allocations correct than by trying to pick securities, or time markets. We want you to have an investment plan that is structured for your needs.
We don't trade in and out, we don't try to figure out the next great thing and we don't hype what's hot in order to earn a commission from you.
We believe that having a diversified, well-balanced portfolio, following long-term buy-and-hold strategies, and having patience, will increase the likelihood that you will have a successful investment experience.
Why do you write an Investment Policy statement and what does it cover?
We write our recommendations into an Investment Policy Statement (IPS) which covers all the details of your investment plan and serves as the controlling document for all of our actions. The Investment policy Statement:
- Establishes the investor’s expectations, objectives and guidelines in the investment of the Portfolio’s assets
- Creates the framework for a well-diversified asset mix that can be expected to generate acceptable long-term returns at a level of risk suitable to the Investor, including:
- Describing an appropriate risk posture for the investment of the Investor’s Portfolio specifying the target asset allocation policy
- Establishing investment guidelines regarding the selection of investment managers, permissible securities and diversification of assets
- Specifying the criteria for evaluating the performance of the Portfolio’s assets
- Defines the responsibilities of the investor and the advisor
- Encourages effective communication between the investment manager and the investor